Tips for Expats
Our Tips for Expats will keep you informed with useful tips while living in Mexico.
The Expat wife
The role of an expat wife is much more complex than people assume, even more, if she also is a mother.
She must get involved in each aspect of the new living country, from the most important matters like, choosing the best school and education for their kids, a new place to live, meet supermarkets, the operation of public services, to the least important but still important, which is to start making new friends and if it it´s the case, learn a new language. read more...
Blogs about Mexico
As we know every country has its own traditions, its own culture, and undoubtedly getting to know all this from the country you are visiting, can be very amazing and at the same time gratifying. In fact, even better if somebody else, who already has the experience of living in the country, could share with you tips to improve your personal experience during your stay.
Learning takes time and patience, especially when you move to a foreign country very different from your home country, you might get lonely and generally think that there is not a person who understands what you are going through. In case you have ever felt this way before, you must know that you are not alone there are thousands of people who have been through the same, and could help you during your process of adaptation. read more...
The Leisure Industry is an organization from Mexico´s City Government, that implements, advises and finances programs, this organization plans and performs with the only purpose of promoting tourism in our capital city.
Thus it is a good idea to keep in touch with this information and be aware of the different options the city has to offer.
On September 2013, a new organizational structure that allows the fund to easily perform its corresponding functions by law got on the beam. Subsequently, there is a 5-year plan that will end in 2018 and enables the following:
- To position Mexico City as headquarter for big events and a known receptor for congresses, exhibitions, etc.
- To promote Mexico City in three basic levels: local, nationwide and international.
- Boost strategic projects that are both innovative and creative. , read more...
Living in a different country or city may have its unexpected situations, this is why considering to have a tenant insurance might be an excellent idea for you. Whether you rent a studio, an apartment or a house you need to protect your personal belongings as well as the people who either live with you or visit you. We would like you to prevent any type of bitter situation such as: party guests causing damage or a fire emergency, which would require you to pay a great amount of money.
Every day, homes and apartments are broken into, people experience fires, floods, falling objects, or just happens to have a visitor who gets injured at home.
You might think that you don´t have much of real value, but what if everything you own was stolen or destroyed, and you had to replace everything at once. read more...
Whether you live alone or with family, in a condo or in a single home, it is vital to be cautious to prevent any disturbances or possible robbery. With some basic, but very useful tips you can make some changes and avoid unwanted situations:
- Always pretend that someone is at home by turning on some lights and even the radio or the television.
- If you are leaving on vacation, ask your neighbor to pick up your mail and make sure you lock correctly windows and doors.
- Your valuable objects must be secure always, read more...
There are all kinds of jobs in our country, sure you will be surprised with all the help we have around here and you may wonder if you need to tip everyone. Here are some typical examples:
- Taxis: if they see you are not from around, drivers will try to charge an extra fee which is basically a tip, keep in mind you are not obligated and it is not recommended to do so as the rates already include their service.
- Restaurants: waitressing usually has a very low basic income, so most of the earning comes from tips, for a good service it´s recommended to give 10% of the total bill and for an excellent service 15%.
- Gas station: when you need to fill the gas tank, there is no need to fill it yourself, because there are people who can help you. read more...
If it is the first time you are sharing an apartment with someone else, here are some useful tips to consider.Ask for basic information. Since all the contact is primarily through a web platform, it is important that you ask questions like where your roommates work or where they are from, how old they are, etc. This may seem obvious, but some people tend to forget about it.
When meeting your future roommates, be sure to talk about important topics that involve details you have to live on a daily basis, read more...
- Temporary resident card.
- Fee payment voucher.
- Job offer that indicates the activities to be performed, workplace, amount of time and the certificate of registration of the employer
Reading is always an entertainment for the mind, as we can learn about history or create a different world full of fantasy. To gain a little bit of culture you do not have to waste money on new books. Instead, you can visit many of the public libraries that we have in our city.
Here are some of our recommendations:
- The Mexican Library inaugurated in 1946, is located in the neighborhood of Cuauhtémoc. It has over 40,000 volumes placed all over its beautiful historic building where you can also enjoy many cultural activities such as exhibitions and plays.
- The National Mexican Library is located inside the National University (UNAM) read more...