When you talk about inventions it is more likely to refer to European or Asian ones because they are the most famous. However, you probably didn’t know that in Mexico, a lot of useful things have also been invented by really smart mexican people. They are used all around the world, contributing to many countries and millions of people for their relevance and input and just by making our lives simpler. Here are some of the most significant ones:
- Color television-. The most recognized audiovisual contribution in our country was developed by the Mexican Guillermo Gónzalez Camarena in the 1940´s. After many years of black and white images, he gave us a simplified bicolor system that transmits color images through the screen.
- WC floater-. In 1790, José Antonio de Alzate created this peculiar invention and since then, gallons of water have been saved by keeping WCs and our homes from flooding.
- Birth control pill-. Luis Ernesto Miramonte, who was born in the state of Nayarit, was an investigator and co-founder of the Chemistry Department at the National Univerisity – UNAM. During 1951, in Mexico City, he discovered “norethisterone”, the active component for the pill, and managed to synthetize the compound for the first time.
- Marathon-. This entertaining board game consists in making multiple questions corresponding to several categories. If an answer is wrong a black token called “Ignorance” moves forward. This game was manufactured by Sergio Schaar Chabat in 1985.
- Indelible ink: it was invented by engineer Filiberto Vázquez Dávila from the National School of Biological Science. This substance permeates the skin and stays for more than 24 hours. It was used for the first time during the 1994 Mexican elections.